Double DEC in Social Science + Arts, Literature and Communication (ALC)
Students have the opportunity to enroll in a program that will allow them to earn two complete DECs in three years.
Double DEC in Social Science + Arts, Literature and Communication (300.16)
The Double DEC in Social Science + Arts, Literature & Communication (ALC) is designed for students who are interested in having access to a wider variety of studies and an opportunity for more profound exploration than a single DEC provides. General education courses (English, French, Humanities and Physical Education) count for both programs, and concentration courses for one program function as complementary courses for the other. In addition, in your last semester, you will complete the comprehensive assessments for each program.
This Double DEC satisfies the prerequisites for a greater number of university programs as well as giving the students extra time and experience to choose a career. Furthermore, there are university programs (e.g., International Studies) where a broader perspective and more extensive grounding in both the social sciences and languages is better preparation for further academic work than is either program alone. Other advantages include the fact that the 300.16 program has an average of fewer courses per semester than the ALC Program and the Social Science Program. A reduced course load gives the possibility of earning a higher R-score. In addition, students who have previously completed their studies in French would have an extra year (and more courses) to improve their English-language skills.
The following information applies to those students who have begun their studies in Fall 2023 or later. If you began your studies prior to Fall 2023, please visit the legacy version of this page.
St. Lawrence offers two profiles in the Social Science + ALC Double DEC. Both profiles allow you to tailor your choice of Social Science courses to fit your university plans. The profiles are determined by the language options, which allow students to study in English, French, Spanish and German. Our two profiles are based on whether you are ready for Spanish I (300.16 L1) or Spanish II (300.16 L2). Students wishing to complete the Commerce or Mathematics Profiles from Social Science will need to ensure they take the following math courses: 201-103-RE Differential Calculus, 201-203-RE Integral Calculus and 201-105-RE Linear Algebra and Vector Geometry, in that order.
Profile L1 - No Prior Spanish
This profile takes you through college-level courses I, II and III in both Spanish and German.
Profile L2 - Prior Spanish
This profile takes you through college-level courses II, III and IV in Spanish, and through college-level courses I, II and III in German.
Students who have prior knowledge of German or Spanish can request an equivalency. Each request will be processed for a fee of $25. The procedure for equivalencies is as follows:
- Fill in a Request for Equivalency Form and send it to Betty Ableson at firstname.lastname@example.org with your payment of $25 per language. You will be sent a placement test to complete at home and return.
- Based on the results of the placement, you may be invited to write a more complete test for credit during the Welcome Days in the week before the semester starts.
- Once the College has your results, they will be transmitted to you and you will be placed in the level indicated in your test for credit. You will be given credit for the prior courses.
- If you have any questions, please contact the Academic Advisor.
All college programs in Québec have a graduate profile. This describes their graduates' competencies. In addition, there is a comprehensive assessment (CA) which evaluates whether students have met the expectations of the graduate profile. In some programs, the comprehensive assessment is linked with a course including an integrative activity (IA), building on what was learned in past courses.
In this Double DEC, you will complete the CA/IA requirements for both the Social Science and ALC Programs in the sixth semester.
Your studies can lead to a wide range of careers, such as those below. Be sure to check university prerequisites, since they vary. St. Lawrence students can see the Guidance Counsellor to discuss these options further. If you complete the Double DEC in Social Science + ALC, you have a particularly wide variety of university programs open to you.
- By selecting Human Biology as a Social Science option course, you can be eligible to apply for psychology programs at Québec universities.
- By choosing Microeconomics as a second-level Social Science option course, you can be eligible to study business administration or economics at Québec universities.
- By selecting the math option courses in Social Science, you can be eligible for a greater variety of courses at Québec universities.
The DEC in Social Science can lead to further studies in fields such as business administration, commerce, communications and journalism, counselling, criminology, economics, education, geography, history, industrial design, industrial relations, international business, international relations, law, political science, psychology, social work, sociology, tourism and urban studies.
The DEC in Arts, Literature and Communication can lead to further studies in fields such as international studies, teaching English as a Second Language (ESL), translation, communication studies, public relations, teaching at the elementary or secondary levels, linguistics and languages, English studies, French studies, German studies, Hispanic studies, creative writing, journalism and broadcast media, cultural studies, theatre, film studies, art history, literature, professional writing, classical and ancient studies.
Students applying for the Double DEC must satisfy the college general admission requirements. Students who wish to take the math courses available in Social Science must have Math TS 5 or SN 5 as a prerequisite.
View all programs
- Arts, Literature and Communication (ALC) Program
- Science Program
- Social Science Program
- P.W. Sims Business Program
- Tourism Program
- Double DEC in Science + Social Science
- Double DEC in Science + Arts, Literature and Communication
- Double DEC in Social Science + Arts, Literature and Communication
- DEC Pathway